Nebraska Dual Credit Information

  • A dual credit teaching certificate is available to allow college faculty to teach courses offered by the institution and approved by a local school system for high school credit. Each applicant for the certificate must meet specified requirements for a general teaching certificate, be eligible to teach courses for college credit as documented by the employing college’s submission of the Postsecondary Verification Form, hold a master’s degree, and earned at least 6 graduate hours in the subject area for which a teaching endorsement is sought. Regulations also specify certificate renewal requirements. 
    In addition, the Nebraska Dual Enrollment Standards, which serve as guidelines but do not have force of law, specify: 
    1. Instructors must hold a master’s degree and “have the mutual support of the district and college/university participating in the dual enrollment program.”
    2. High school and postsecondary faculty must “receive appropriate orientation and training[.]”
    3. “Collaboration between high school and postsecondary faculty is encouraged and faculty development is available where appropriate.”
    4. “High school and postsecondary faculty maintain contact throughout the program. In some instances, this contact is facilitated by technology.”

Furthermore, “Course outlines or syllabi (including at minimum a description of content, teaching strategies, performance measures, grading standards, resource materials, objectives/outcomes, and course calendar) utilized in the program meet district(s), state, and college/university standards.” 

    1. The district(s) and postsecondary institution should annually review the program.
    2. Program participants should be “tracked following graduation through postsecondary experiences when possible. Tracking elements may include district(s) data (e.g., class rank, GPA, ACT where available, AP exam where available and appropriate, and course outcomes and grade) and postsecondary data (e.g., GPA, major, number of hours completed, and enhancements, if appropriate to program).”

Participating Institutions

Tuition Support

Excellence in Teaching Act Forgivable Loans (Rule 25) – On April 22, 2009, the Excellence in Teaching Act (§§ 79-8,132−79-8,140 R.R.S.) was signed by Governor Heineman revising the existing Attracting Excellence to Teaching Program and authorizing the Enhancing Excellence in Teaching Program.  Funding is provided by the Excellence in Teaching Cash Fund using a portion of the State Lottery Operation Trust Fund dollars.

  •  For Nebraska residents currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate teacher education program at an eligible Nebraska institution: 

More information is available here: 

Enabling Legislation